British researcher: Taliban retreat from fulfilling their obligations and Biden is required not to be allowed to regain control of Afghanistan

Despite the peace agreement signed by the Taliban with the administration of former US President Donald Trump last year, the movement began to use the opportunity of Trump’s ability to impose the US policy on Afghanistan to increase the momentum of its efforts to control the country.

The Taliban had agreed, under the terms of that agreement with the United States, to negotiate a peaceful solution to the civil war that has been raging for a long time in this underdeveloped country, as Washington agreed to withdraw all its remaining forces. 

Moreover, the Taliban agreed to cut ties with Islamist terrorist organizations such as al Qaeda.

In a report published by the American Gatestone Institute, British political analyst and researcher Kuhn Cofflin said that, according to the recent events in Afghanistan, the Taliban showed little desire to abide by the terms of the agreement.

Cofflin, a senior fellow at the Gatestone Institute, added that while Trump fulfilled his obligations under the agreement and reduced the number of US forces from about 13,000 at the time the agreement was signed in February to only 2,500 when he left office, there is little evidence of That the Taliban fulfill their obligations under the terms of the agreement.

On the contrary, since the beginning of this year there has been a noticeable escalation in the level of violence, as the Taliban are accused of intensifying their terrorist campaign in an attempt to regain control of Afghanistan, rather than seeking a peaceful solution to the conflict in the country.

Taliban have ties to terrorist groups such as al Qaeda.

Consequently, Afghanistan finds itself in a major security crisis, in which militants are focusing their attacks on a wide cross-section of Afghan society, targeting judges, activists, journalists, moderate clerics, students and others.

One of the most frustrating features of this rise in the level of violence is that it has pushed young, educated Afghans, who have enjoyed a more liberal lifestyle in recent years and ushered in a bright future for their country, to abandon their homeland to flee the escalating violence.

Afghan officials believe that the Taliban had absolutely no intention of fulfilling their obligations under the agreement, and prolonged negotiations with the Trump administration so that it could secure the release of the estimated 5,000 militants detained by Afghan security forces, who were released by the Afghan authorities on Sunday.

Hamdallah Moheb, the Afghan national security advisor, accused in an interview with the British newspaper “The Times of London” last week, the Taliban of simply using the agreement to secure the release of Taliban fighters from Afghan prisons.

“The only thing that the Taliban got from this agreement is the release of their prisoners, and then an attack against the Afghan government and its forces,” he said, “apparently, this was their plan from the beginning”.

The rapidly deteriorating security situation has now prompted the leaders of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) to order a review on whether all remaining US-led forces deployed in Afghanistan should be withdrawn by May 1, as essentially included in Trump’s signed agreement with the Taliban.

A hypothetical two-day conference was held last week for NATO defense ministers – the first time that officials from the new Biden administration have participated. 

The conference discussed in detail whether the withdrawal should continue, but it was decided to delay a decision on that while US President Joe Biden conducts a comprehensive review of the agreement concluded by Trump.

Although the Biden administration has yet to decide whether to support the Trump deal, there is growing resistance within NATO to withdraw troops while the Taliban continues their violent campaign against the Afghan people.

In his speech at the conclusion of the NATO meeting, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said that the alliance was still committed to the agreement, but he expressed his desire for the Taliban to prove their seriousness in seeking peace.

“The peace process is the best chance to end years of suffering and violence and achieve lasting peace,” he said, adding, “This is important for the Afghan people, the security of the region and our security”.

Koflin explained that the main concern is the possibility that if the Taliban are allowed to take control of Afghanistan, which they governed before the September 11 attacks, they will allow the country again to become a safe haven for terrorist groups such as al Qaeda and ISIS, who will then use Afghan lands as a base for launching. Devastating attacks against the West.

In light of this, Coughlin stated at the end of his report that in making his decision about the future of US forces in Afghanistan, Biden needs to warn that he is responsible for causing a new wave of terrorist attacks against the United States and its allies.

On the other hand, a spokesman for the Afghan Taliban movement Zabihullah Mujahid said in an interview with the German news agency (dpa) that the movement strongly rejects any possible delay in the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan.

He added, “Our fighters will never agree to the extension”.