The German Minister of Defense announces a new voluntary service in the army and the German Left Party opposes the re-implementation of forced recruitment in the country

German Defense Minister and the leader of the ruling Christian Democratic party in Germany Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer announced a new voluntary service in the German army.

At a virtual seminar of the Chancellor, Angela Merkel’s Christian Democrat party, Kramp-Karrenbauer, said on Saturday that from 2021 a new service will be implemented under the title “Your Year for Germany”.

Kramp-Karrenbauer explained that the youth who will decide to join the service will receive a six-month military training in their hometown, and after that they will join the backup services in places close to their home for a period of six months, and the first volunteers are expected to join in 2021.

A spokesman for the German Ministry of Defense said that the plan is expected to be presented at the end of July, and that a publicity campaign is expected to start, adding that the Coronavirus pandemic recently showed how important the assistance provided by the German army and its reserves in all parts of Germany was the importance.

The spokesman said that the army intends, through this new service, to enhance its defense capabilities at the level of Germany and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) at the same time.

The minister renewed the demand for young people to allocate a “general for Germany” in general, but she did not address the statements of Eva Hogel, the new army commissioner who sparked a discussion earlier on the re-application of forced recruitment, and said: “I see the suspension of forced recruitment was a fatal mistake, and we have to analyze This decision is very critical”.

For his part, Dietmar Bartsch, leader of the parliamentary bloc of the German Left Party, expressed his categorical rejection of the re-application of forced recruitment as a response to the monitoring of a series of facts of the extreme right within the army.

In an interview with the German News Agency (dpa), Bartsch said, on Saturday: “Extremist right-wing thoughts and violent fantasies of the terrorist right-wing in the German army are not related to a causal relationship with the cessation of forced recruitment but to a culture in the army, which allowed and tolerated this culture for decades”.

Bartsch said that stirring up the debate about forced re-recruitment will not solve the problems that arise in the armed forces.

He added: “Instead of us robbing the young people through forced recruitment of a time they have the right to define them, we need zero tolerance at all levels of the army with the fascists who have forgotten History and they think they can express their sick thought while they are in military uniform”.

Eva Hogel, the new commissioner for the army, had previously discussed the forced re-recruitment, and she said in comments to the newspapers of the Funche media group: “I see the suspension of forced recruitment was a fatal mistake, and we have to analyze this decision very critically”.

In response to a question about whether she supports the re-application of compulsory recruitment, the politician affiliated with the Social Democratic Party said: “Of course we should keep in mind the problem of military justice, because the state of the army will be excellent in any case when a large part of society devotes time to its service, It also makes it difficult for right-wing extremism to spread in the armed forces, and I am willing to debate this extensively in the coming year”.

It is noteworthy that Germany has always seen a debate about forced recruitment since its suspension in 2011, but Chancellor Angela Merkel and Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer have so far expressed their refusal to re-enforce forced recruitment, partly because the requirements assigned to soldiers are different today.