Trump approves plan to withdraw 9,500 US soldiers from Germany and shows an increasing anger over China over Covid-19

On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump approved a plan to withdraw 9,500 US soldiers currently stationed in Germany, with the plan to be presented “in the coming weeks” to Congress and then to NATO allies, according to the Pentagon.

Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement that Defense Secretary Mark Esber and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the US Army, General Mark Millie, “on Monday presented this plan to redeploy 9,500 soldiers outside Germany”. 

He was referring to the June 15 reduction in the Republican president who accused Germany of financially benefiting from the US military presence.

The speaker noted that “the approved proposal not only responds to the President’s directives, but will also increase deterrence in the face of Russia, strengthen NATO, reassure allies, and improve the strategic resilience of the United States and the operational leadership of the US military in Europe”.

And he added that Pentagon officials would be notified of “the defense committees in Congress in both chambers in the coming weeks, and then they will consult with the allies on how to move forward”.

The spokesperson did not specify in which countries these American forces could be deployed, but Trump said during his meeting with his Polish counterpart Andrzej Duda last week at the White House that “Poland will be one of those other places in Europe”.

According to two senior Pentagon officials, some of the soldiers will be returned to the United States, while the rest will be sent to countries in the former Soviet bloc, with the aim of sending a clear message to Russia whose military ambitions were evident when it annexed Crimea in 2014.

On Tuesday, Trump also expressed an increasing anger about China, in light of the heavy losses left by the Covid-19 pandemic in the world in general and in his country in particular.

“When I see the pandemic revealing its terrible face around the world, including the damage done to the United States, I’m getting more and more angry about China,” Trump Tweeted.

The US health officials acknowledged, on Tuesday, that they do not control the epidemic completely, expressing their fear of an outbreak of new cases of Coronavirus in the coming weeks.