The European Union reiterates the United Nations’ call for a ceasefire in Syria to confront the coronavirus outbreak, as the Syrian government decides to ban curfews between the provinces and increase the number of cases to 9

The European Union reiterated on Sunday the United Nations’ call for a ceasefire in Syria, which would contribute to a better response to the Covid-19 epidemic.

Syria recorded five cases of the emerging coronavirus.

The United Nations envoy to Syria, however, Pedersen called on Tuesday for a comprehensive cease-fire in the country, as stressed by the UN investigation committee on Syria on Saturday.

A European Commission spokesman said in a statement on Sunday that “the newly approved ceasefire in Idlib remains fragile.

It should be preserved and cover the whole of Syria”.

He continued, “The cessation of hostilities in the country is important in itself, but it is also a sine qua non to contain the recent outbreaks of coronavirus and protect the exhausted population from possible severe consequences, especially in Idlib where there are a large number of refugees.”

The European Union, like the United Nations, also called for a wide-ranging initiative to release detainees held by the Syrian government.

The epidemic threatens in particular about 6.5 million Syrians who have been displaced from their areas, including about a million civilians, the majority of them women and children, who are being tied up by a group of camps at the Turkish border in Idlib.

They live in poor humanitarian conditions in the absence of the most basic services, including clean water and sanitation.

After Idlib governorate, the last stronghold of jihadists and opposition factions in Syria, witnessed a wide attack by the Syrian Army forces with Russian support since the beginning of December, it has become since the beginning of March a fragile calm following the armistice agreement.

For his part, the Syrian Cabinet decided today, Sunday, to curfew between the governorates from six in the evening, tomorrow, Tuesday, until April 16.

The Syrian News Agency (SANA) stated that this came after the cabinet evaluated the government measures taken to tackle the new epidemic of coronavirus and to limit any spread of the virus.

On the other hand, it came into effect at two o’clock in the afternoon until the last notice, the decision to prevent the movement of citizens between governorate centers and all regions and rural areas at all times for those who are not authorized and approved by the government team concerned with the strategy to tackle the coronavirus epidemic.

According to the agency, the Ministry of Interior was tasked with overseeing the implementation of the decision, in cooperation with security services and military checkpoints, and intensifying patrols to ensure good compliance of citizens with this decision.

It is noteworthy that the decision requires the prevention of movement between each province and its countryside, and not between the provinces.

For its part, the Syrian Ministry of Health said in a statement on its website today, Sunday, that four new cases of new coronavirus were registered in the country, bringing the number to nine.

The ministry had previously announced the first death from the coronavirus in Syria.