Surprisingly, US President Donald Trump announces the resignation of Jason Greenblatt, the US envoy for peace in the Middle East, and one of the most responsible for drafting the “deal of century”.
US President Donald Trump has announced the resignation of US Middle East peace envoy Jason Greenblatt, one of the most vocal leaders of the “deal of century”.
“After nearly three years in my management team, Jason Greenblatt will leave the White House in order to move into the private sector”, Trump tweeted.
“Jason was also a great friend and a great lawyer”, Trump said.
“No one will forget his dedication to Israel and the pursuit of peace between Israel and Palestine”.
The sudden resignation of Greenblatt comes ahead of the expected date for the US administration to announce the political part of the “deal of the century”, which will be announced after the Israeli elections to the Knesset scheduled for September 17.
Greenblatt announced in February that President Trump was the best so far for Israel, and that the relationship between the two countries has never been better than it is today.
“We’ve succeeded in bringing the leaders of Israel and the Arab world to the same table to engage in their common challenges”, he stressed.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, commenting on Greenblatt’s resignation, said: “I would like to thank him for his tireless work for security and peace, and for not hesitating even for a moment to tell the truth about the state of Israel in the face of all abusers of its reputation, thank you Jason”.
Greenblatt planned from the start to work for only two years after taking office in early 2017, Reuters reported, citing US officials as saying that he plans to return to his wife and six children who stayed at their home in New Jersey.
The Trump administration postponed several times the announcement of the political part of the “peace plan to settle the Palestinian-Israeli conflict”, known as the “deal of century”, against the background of political developments in “Israel”, in addition to categorically refusal to work by the Palestinian parties, which have already to boycott the “Peace for Prosperity” workshop in Bahrain, which took place from 25 to 26 June last, under the title “Manama Economic Workshop” at the initiative of the United States, which included economic temptations for the Palestinians.
President Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner revealed that the “deal of century” includes $ 50 billion in investments for Palestinians, Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon.
This comes after the Trump administration took several measures against Palestine, led by the recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of “Israel”.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said the “deal of century” was concluded and said there was nothing to negotiate after the US declared Jerusalem the capital of Israel.
Abbas said he had cut off contact with all US officials after insisting on sticking to Jerusalem, Israel’s capital.