The Lima Group declares its opposition to any military intervention in Venezuela

Peruvian Foreign Minister Nestor Popolizio announced on Tuesday that the Lima group rejects any military intervention in Venezuela to oust President Nicolas Maduro.

“As a Lima group, we said we do not support any military intervention in Venezuela”, the minister told reporters.

This comes at a time when the United States said that “all options are on the table” on Venezuela.

The Peruvian foreign minister said the Lima group will study next Monday in Ottawa new measures to support the opposition, Juan Guaido, who has declared himself president of Venezuela.

“We will continue to give impetus to the Juan Guido regime”, said Popolizio.

“We have no information” about possible foreign military intervention in Venezuela, the Peruvian minister said.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said on Wednesday that US President Donald Trump had given an order to assassinate me to the Colombian government and the mafia in the Latin country.

This comes at a time when the Venezuelan President faces economic and diplomatic pressure to give up power, the last of which was the imposition of US sanctions on the National Oil Company.

“There is no doubt that Trump gave my death order, which is the government and the Columbia mafia to kill me”, Maduro said in an interview with the Russian news agency Sputnik.

“If anything happened to me, it should be known that Trump and the Colombian President Ivan Duki will be responsible for this”.

Meanwhile, Venezuelan Attorney-General Tariq William Saab on Tuesday asked the Supreme Court to ban Venezuelan opposition speaker Juan Guido, who declared himself acting president, from leaving the country and freezing his bank accounts.

The move comes after the United States said earlier it had handed over control of US banking accounts in Venezuela to prevent Maduro from taking over if he leaves power.

Guido said on Monday he had seized foreign assets in Venezuela to prevent Maduro from emptying the “treasury”.

The Attorney-General, who is close to President Nicolas Maduro, told the Supreme Court that he had requested “precautionary measures” against Guido to prevent him from leaving the country or transferring assets while collecting his accounts.

Saab said the measures were part of an investigation into the conduct of parliament ordered by the court last week.

This came in response to parliament’s declaration Maduro “raped” power because of his re-election last May in elections boycotted by the opposition and considered by the international community forged.

Guido said he was not surprised by the steps he described as part of a series of “threats” against him and against the opposition-controlled parliament.

“A new threat against me and against the parliament and the acting president of this republic, which is not new”.

“Don’t underestimate threats and persecution at this time, but we’re here, and we continue to do our work”, he said.

Guido, who was backed by the United States, declared himself acting president of Venezuela on 23 January.

On the other hand, China and Russia on Tuesday condemned the new US sanctions on Venezuela as part of a crackdown on President Nicolas Maduro on the eve of new demonstrations called by opposition leader Juan Guido.

“The Venezuelan authorities consider these sanctions illegal and we fully subscribe to this view”, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, accusing Washington of “flagrant interference”.

“We will defend our interests under international law by using all the mechanisms at our disposal”, he said, adding that Russia is investing billions of dollars in Venezuela’s fuel and weapons sectors.

“China will be responsible for serious consequences”, said Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang, who said the sanctions would “lead to a deterioration in the lives of Venezuelan people and impose sanctions on them”.